Are you familiar with business waste laws? If you have a business certain business waste regulations apply despite the location of your business. The Environmental Protection Act conforms to EU principles of reducing the reliance on landfills.
Why is business waste controlled?
The reason behind these regulations is to protect the environment and human health
Who do these laws apply to?
Anybody who generates, stores, disposes of, and works with waste is bound to dispose of it correctly. This applies to public and private businesses. Even if the business outsources the waste to rubbish Removal Company it is its responsibility to make sure that the rubbish is disposed of correctly. This is the reason for working with a reliable, reputable waste management company.
The areas of compliance
These rules control the following areas of your business waste:
- The waste carrier
- Correct waste disposal
- Proper sorting and storage of waste
Quick tips of business waste compliance
Sort: Divide your waste into different categories and store them in well-labeled containers.
Store: do not contaminate different types of waste
Transport: a waste transfer license is necessary. A business owner should ensure that the rubbish removal company they hire has a license
Treatment: non-hazardous waste should be treated before disposal. This promotes recycling and is environmentally motivated.
Dispose: The recycling facility or landfill used to dispose of the waste should also be licensed.
What you need to know about waste transfer note
Every time waste is removed from your business premise a waste transfer note needs to be filled and contains this information:
- The quantity and type of waste
- How the waste is contained
- The date and place of collection and disposal
- This waste transfer note needs to be kept for two years.
Know the risks of non-compliance of hazardous waste meaning of hazardous waste
This is garbage that can be harmful to the environment and health. Many businesses are ignorant of the fact that they generate hazardous waste in their daily activities such as computer monitors, batteries, aerosols fridges, TV sets, paints, oil, solvents, and light bulbs.
Hazardous and non-hazardous wastes are not required to be disposed of together in a landfill. If hazardous and non-hazardous wastes are mixed without a permit it will be taken to be hazardous waste. Before the hazardous waste is taken to a landfill it should be treated. If you prefer to treat your waste you should be authorized to do so.
Tips for hazardous waste disposal
- Hazardous waste can be stored for one year without a waste management license or permit. There is a restricted amount of hazardous waste that you can store at any given time.
- Hazardous waste needs to be stored correctly and safely
- You need a consignment note for transportation of hazardous waste
- Hazardous waste should be disposed on authorized sites
- Ensure that you reduce or recycle hazardous waste before disposing of them
- Work with a licensed waste management company like Clearabee
- Hazardous waste can only be accepted in a landfill if it has met the outlined criteria and has the Permit necessary to accept the waste.
- Penalty for business waste law noncompliance
- Failure to follow the duty of care rules leads to hefty penalties including a fine of £50,000 or imprisonment of up to 5 years. Non-compliance includes leaving your bins past collection time, infracting on waste transfer notes, and fly-tipping (dumping waste without a permit to receive it).
Clearabee rubbish removal London Company adheres to these rules and regulations. We also advise our clients to familiarize themselves with these rules since they are also liable for how their rubbish is removed and disposed of. With us you should rest assured that your rubbish is disposed of correctly without causing and harm to the environment.